Coaching my collegues with starting personal agility  

RSS

René Wettler
Member Moderator
26/01/2018 10:22 am  

After my short introductions of Personal Agiliy to interested collegues in our company three of them decided that they want to start it! As their personal coach I start with the question "What transformation in yourself do you hope to achieve through Personal Agility?" Then let's see if they have already decided for themselves "what really matters". Looking forward to my first coaching session:-)

ReplyQuote
Maria Matarelli
Member Admin
05/02/2018 4:42 am  

That is awesome, René! I really appreciate that first question "What transformation in yourself do you hope to achieve through Personal Agility?" That's a very powerful coaching question! We look forward to hearing more after your first coaching session.

Thank you for spreading the word and introducing the concept at work - thats fantastic!

Chris Kruppa liked
ReplyQuote
René Wettler
Member Moderator
10/02/2018 4:29 pm  

Thanks @Maria 

Well here some more details after my coaching sessions with three PA "beginners": It seems to be quite easy for them to summarize their personal goals for using PA. A bigger effort though is needed to cut their quite big elephants "what really matters" into smaller tasks for their "what could I do"-column.

They may especially need now some more coaching support to prevent them from giving up before having even fully startet. Anyone wants to share her/his experiences what's the best way to make big elephants smaller? Either as a coach or a coachee...Thanks for some more inspiring ideas!

Elefant

ReplyQuote
Maria Matarelli
Member Admin
20/02/2018 5:38 am  

That's awesome, Rene! So great to hear that you are coaching several people that you work with. That is good to hear that it is easy for them to summarize their personal goals and also good to know that there seems to be a big leap between the things that matter and actionable steps. 

A few suggestions that may help with facilitating the breaking down of the large elephants 🙂 

- Ask a powerful question "What is one thing that you could do toward your goal?" Have you heard of the book and strategy of "the one thing" by Gary Keller? Their specific question is "What's the ONE Thing you can do such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?" It is super powerful to simplify what's in front of you and maybe even challenge your thinking to simplify it even more  http://www.meaningfulhq.com/the-one-thing.html

- Visualize it - Write down the larger item that matters, then write one idea per post-it note to speculate things you could do toward that goal or initiative. Sometimes, visualizing it or just brainstorming and moving ideas around can help to bring up more ideas. Then prioritize, sequence, and identify low hanging fruit that can be done easily to begin to get momentum

- Visualize it with a breadcrumb trail - I was creating a vision board earlier this year with a few friends and one of my friends seemed a bit stumped - he knew what he wanted, but felt they were too far out of reach. So we used post it notes and said "Here's the big goals" then we took another color of post-it notes and said "What is something you've done that has been similar to this larger goal" to show that you are capable and to open your mindset of being able to achieve it. For example, he said he wanted to travel outside of the country and I asked if he had traveled out of state before and he said yes - and I said okay, great, lets make a breadcrumb trail of things you have done that support that goal. You've traveled out of state, next is just to travel further. 

Let me know if you like any of these ideas or are able to try them. I would also like to hear other suggestions that people may have! 🙂

Best Regards,
Maria

ReplyQuote

Join this discussion

Please login below or create an account if you do not have one yet.

login nowregister now
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register